Wednesday, March 7, 2018

It Smacks Of Conceit

Four years ago, former President George W. Bush insisted he would not attack his successor.  “I don’t think it’s good for the country to have a former president undermine a current president; I think it’s bad for the presidency for that matter.”
"Secondly, I really have had all the fame I want," he added. "I really don't long for publicity. And the truth of the matter is in order for me to generate publicity I'd have to either attack the Republican Party, which I don't want to do, or attack the president, which I don't want to do. And so, I'm perfectly content to be out of the limelight." 
Yesterday, the National Journal’s Tom DeFrank tweeted the following:
In October of 2017, the former president defended the ideas of globalism, free trade, and free markets as well as foreign interventionism around the world in a speech at the George W. Bush Institute.
Bush indirectly accused Trump of fueling dangerous ideologies that threaten the unity of the United States and global stability.  His decision to publicly criticize Trump’s presidency is curious after he made a point of not challenging Obama’s disastrous time in office.
Bush has had a burr under his saddle ever since then-candidate Trump steamrolled his brother during the New Hampshire primary when he said, “Jeb Bush is a low-energy person.  For him to get things down is very hard.”  And who can forget the pitiful moment in New Hampshire when Jeb begged for applause saying, “Please clap.”
So, what would cause Dubya to suggest President Trump’s administration “sorta makes me look pretty good?”
Over the weekend at a fundraiser in Florida, the President mocked Bush the Younger’s intellect and compared his decision to invade Iraq to “throwing a big, fat brick into a hornet’s nest. Here we are, like the dummies of the world, because we had bad politicians running our country for a long time. That was Bush. Another real genius. That was Bush," Trump joked.
Neither Jeb nor Dubya or their daddy attended the 2016 Republican National Convention and all three voted for Granny Clinton.
On January 20, 2009 Bush eased into an existence of purposeful inconspicuousness. He wrote a book, as most past presidents do, learned to paint and said nothing controversial.  Now he’s being exalted thanks to his slams against the Trump Administration.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please scribble on my walls otherwise how will I know what you think, but please don’t try spamming me or you’ll earn a quick trip to the spam filter where you will remain—cold, frightened and all alone.