Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Vacation Mode Activated

“When we honestly ask ourselves which person in our lives means the most to us, we often find that it is those who, instead of giving advice, solutions, or cures, have chosen rather to share our pain and touch our wounds with a warm and tender hand. The friend who can be silent with us in a moment of despair or confusion, who can stay with us in an hour of grief and bereavement, who can tolerate not knowing, not curing, not healing and face with us the reality of our powerlessness, that is a friend who cares.”
Henri J.M. Nouwen, Out of Solitude: Three Meditations on the Christian Life

Back in mid-October of last year I received an alarming phone call at 6:00 AM from my best friend of 40-plus years.  She informed me she was having her daughter-in-law take her to the emergency room.  Her son rushed to her side and called for an ambulance instead.
I travelled to the beach to visit her in-hospital for what I thought would be the last time I would ever see my best friend alive.  
To make a long story short, she was placed in intensive care and very nearly died.  She was released from the hospital 18 days later.  She had suffered from cerebral hypoxia, a depravation of oxygen to the brain, and suffered substantial memory loss.  Mercifully, her memory has mostly returned.
Its time to visit my friend again so, I am packing up the PT Cruiser and Sophie The Wonderdog and heading to the beach to see my best good friend for a couple of weeks and celebrate her 77th birthday. 
While I’m away, co-bloggers Proof and Sig94 will keep an eye on the place. I have queued up the ladies for the regular Monday feature “Flowing Curves of Beauty”.  The rest will be up to the guys.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please scribble on my walls otherwise how will I know what you think, but please don’t try spamming me or you’ll earn a quick trip to the spam filter where you will remain—cold, frightened and all alone.