Wednesday, August 9, 2017

An Emphatically Ascendant Nightmare

I was among those who were stunned and dismayed when then-candidate Donald Trump described John McCain during a Family Leadership Summit in Ames, IA in July of 2015 as “not a war hero.”
“He’s a war hero because he was captured. I like people who weren’t captured.”
He mocked McCain for having graduated near-last in his class at the US Naval Academy and called him a loser for failing in his bid for president in 2008.
Yesterday, the Arizona senator who has been in office for 30 years popped off following President Trump’s threat to rain “fire and fury” on the hermit nation of North Korea. 
"I take exception to the President's comments because you gotta be able to do what you say you're gonna do...In other words, the old walk softly but carry a big stick, Teddy Roosevelt's saying, which I think is something that should've applied because all it's going to do is bring us closer to a serious confrontation. I think this is very, very, very serious…The great leaders I've seen don't threaten unless they're ready to act and I'm not sure President Trump is ready to act...It's the classic Trump in that he overstates things."

McCain may be one of the last hawks left in office but the old bird sure can flap his wings when he wants to beat the drums of war as Chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee.
"And so, maybe it will turn out alright, he's the president, I'm not," McCain said. "But I don't think that some of the great leaders that I have admired would have taken that same path."  When asked to rate the North Korean threat on a scale of one to 10, McCain said, "I'd say 6, 6 or 7." 
Well Maverick, you old fart, I think when the elapsed time is a mere 39 minutes for one of North Korea’s ICBMs to strike New York City the threat is far greater than a 6 or 7.
This nightmare is an emphatically ascendant one.
No one could doubt that the Sept. 11 terrorists would have gladly used nuclear bombs instead of airplanes if they had had them, and it seems only a matter of time until they try. Instead of a retreating threat in North Korea, that fanatical regime now possesses as many as eight nuclear bombs, and is just one member of a growing nuclear club.
UPDATE:  Welcome Pirate’s Cove readers. We always appreciate it when the Admiral links to one of our posts.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please scribble on my walls otherwise how will I know what you think, but please don’t try spamming me or you’ll earn a quick trip to the spam filter where you will remain—cold, frightened and all alone.