Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Johnny F-U Ball


Yesterday I was going to put up a post about the preseason game between the Cleveland Browns and the team whose name shall not be mentioned.

Usually when I create a graphic suitable for a football post, I have the two team mascots pictured in front of the stadium where the game will be played.  I couldn’t go with that idea for last night’s game because the team whose name shall not be mentioned no longer has a mascot, at least not a politically correct one.  I ditched the idea and didn’t post anything.

For the purposes of full disclosure, I grew up pulling for any team other than the team whose name shall not be mentioned.  Despite the fact that I am not a fan, I was going to root for Washington because I loathe a certain arrogant smart ass.

Back in February Barry Switzer, former head coach for Oklahoma and the Dallas Cowboys, said this about the immature, polarizing player:

"I'm gonna tell you. I said Johnny Manziel is…I don't like his antics. I think he's an arrogant little prick.  I've said that and I'll say it again. He's a privileged kid, he's embarrassed himself, he's embarrassed his teammates, his program. He's embarrassed his coach. And they'll all have to defend him because they have to coach. I know that. I spent 40 years in the damn game so I know how it works."

Linebacker Brian Orakpo and the rest of the Redskins bench were having a little fun with the rookie.  At one point in the first quarter, Orakpo celebrated a teammate’s sack of the little snot by showing off his imitation of Manziel’s “money gesture”.  After forcing the Browns to punt, Orakpo stopped near the yard marker in front of the Redskins sideline and again gave the money sign.

With 2:28 left in the third quarter, Manziel threw an incomplete pass.  A few words from the Redskins bench were hurled at him.  As he walked back the huddle all butthurt, he flipped them off.  The gesture was caught on national TV.

The Browns lost the game 24-23 and Manziel is expected to draw an $11,025 fine for his gesture.

"It did not sit well," Browns coach Mike Pettine said. "I was informed of it after the game and it's disappointing. Because what we talk about is being poised and being focused—that you have to be able to maintain your poise." 

"That's a big part of all football players, especially the quarterback, that we have to keep our composure," Pettine said. "So that's something that we'll obviously address with him."

Asked in his postgame news conference if he thought it was wrong, Manziel smiled before laughing.

“I felt like I did a good job of holding my composure throughout the night, and you have a lapse of judgment and slip up.  I mean, I didn't think it was positive," Manziel said, before adding he couldn't blame it on distractions, repeating he had simply lost his composure.

Better get used to it little man.  Welcome to the NFL.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please scribble on my walls otherwise how will I know what you think, but please don’t try spamming me or you’ll earn a quick trip to the spam filter where you will remain—cold, frightened and all alone.