Saturday, February 10, 2018

Liberal Despair About Trump

Chuck Todd, NBC’s Meet the Press host, gave an impassioned monologue on MSNBC the other day.
I’m not going to go full Howard Beale here, but close. It feels like we have reached a level of crazy in this White House, and it is difficult to take it anymore. Reality TV, tabloid gossip, conspiracy theories, name-calling, vulgarities, and a level of egomania few have ever seen in Washington — and that is saying something!”
Forty-two years ago, Metro Goldwyn Mayer (MGM) produced the film Network.  Howard Beale, the anchorman to which Todd referred, struggled to accept the ramifications of the social ills and depravities existing in the world.  Rather than provide Beale with the psychiatric help he needed, the network exploited him for higher ratings.
After receiving his two-week’s notice, Beale went on the air to tell his viewers he had “run out of bullshit.”  What followed won the film four Academy Awards.
“I don't have to tell you things are bad. Everybody knows things are bad. It's a depression. Everybody's out of work or scared of losing their job. The dollar buys a nickel's worth; banks are going bust; shopkeepers keep a gun under the counter; punks are running wild in the street, and there's nobody anywhere who seems to know what to do, and there's no end to it.”
“We know the air is unfit to breathe and our food is unfit to eat. And we sit watching our TVs while some local newscaster tells us that today we had fifteen homicides and sixty-three violent crimes, as if that's the way it's supposed to be!”
“We all know things are bad ─ worse than bad ─ they're crazy.”
“It's like everything everywhere is going crazy, so we don't go out any more. We sit in the house, and slowly the world we're living in is getting smaller, and all we say is, ‘Please, at least leave us alone in our living rooms. Let me have my toaster and my TV and my steel-belted radials, and I won't say anything. Just leave us alone.’"
“Well, I'm not going to leave you alone. I want you to get mad! I don't want you to protest. I don't want you to riot. I don't want you to write to your Congressman, because I wouldn't know what to tell you to write. I don't know what to do about the depression and the inflation and the Russians and the crime in the street.”
“All I know is that first, you've got to get mad. You've gotta say, ‘I'm a human being, goddammit! My life has value!’"
“So, I want you to get up now. I want all of you to get up out of your chairs. I want you to get up right now and go to the window, open it, and stick your head out and yell, ‘I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore!’"
Powerful stuff. Right?
Under President Trump the economy is booming, unemployment is the lowest it’s been in half a century, ISIS has been virtually destroyed, illegal immigration is tangibly being curtailed, jobs and manufacturing are returning to their highest levels in eight years and criminals from the Clinton/Obama era being identified. America is reaching, once again, for her best.
Prime Minister Winston Churchill spent years as an outsider whose warnings about the threats that England faced from Nazi Germany caused him to be reviled as a warmonger, imperial nationalist and alarmist until his warnings proved precisely right. Even after World War II broke out, Churchill’s leadership was only grudgingly accepted by the elites who had kept him in the political wilderness for years.
Perhaps nothing is as wrongheaded as the efforts by President Trump’s chorus of haters to cast George Orwell’s 1984 as a clarion call against the rise of a Trump-like fascist controlling us with a present-day version of the Ministry of Truth. 
If anything, we’ve learned that the NSA and the Intelligence Community did some of its most devilish work for Barack Obama and Democrat Party leaders who wanted to transmute the United States into a Russian-style intelligence dictatorship and the FBI into a KGB-style weapon to smear their political opponent.

UPDATE:  Welcome Bad Blue Uncensored News readers.  We are grateful to Doug Ross for linking to this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please scribble on my walls otherwise how will I know what you think, but please don’t try spamming me or you’ll earn a quick trip to the spam filter where you will remain—cold, frightened and all alone.