Friday, September 13, 2019

Happiness Is Doubled And Sorrows Halved In The Company Of A Friend

Three days before Hurricane Dorian lashed the coast of South Carolina, my friend of 40+ years called her son saying to him only, “Help!” and hung up the phone.  He rushed to her home to find her in respiratory distress.  An ambulance was called, and she was admitted to the critical care unit.
Two years ago, she nearly died.  This time around the situation was not as dire, but she remains in critical care.
Her son and widowed daughter-in-law insisted while my friend remained sedated and intubated there was no need for me to travel to see her.  I have waited on pins and needles for some sign of improvement in my friend’s condition.  It’s approaching two weeks now without success in removing the ventilation tubing or easing up on the sedation that is being administered.
I was told only two days ago that she was also being treated for pneumonia.  I feel strongly that I must leave to be with my best friend.
I haven’t spoken with co-bloggers Proof or Sig94 about posting during my absence, first because I have no notion of how long I will be away and secondly, because they have their own lives to lead and I don’t want to lay that burden at their feet.
I have queued up the very popular regular weekly features of “A Walk On The Wild Side” and “Flowing Curves Of Beauty” through the end of October.  I have notified my neighbor to scoop up my mail and keep an eye peeled on my house while I’m away.
I apologize to my readers for this abrupt notice and hope you will not abandon this blog because I have made the choice to be with my friend.
A quote I love that has been attributed to blind and deaf American authoress Helen Keller seems most appropriate for this moment in time:
“I would rather walk with a friend in the dark,
than alone in the light.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please scribble on my walls otherwise how will I know what you think, but please don’t try spamming me or you’ll earn a quick trip to the spam filter where you will remain—cold, frightened and all alone.