Monday, September 10, 2018

After Hurricane Hugo, Florence Has Me Concerned

On September 22, 1989 Hurricane Hugo’s track took it through the central Appalachian Mountains and into southeastern Canada.  Where I live the wind gusts reportedly reached 99 mph.

Nearly 700,000 residents were without power, and it would be three weeks before the last repairs were made. I was without power for eleven desolate days.

At 11:00 AM this morning, the National Weather Service upgraded Florence to a Category 3 hurricane.  Florence is expected to strengthen as it moves toward North and South Carolina where it could unleash its destructive fury as the most powerful storm to hit the area in 30 years.

The exact track of the hurricane is not as important to focus on this early in the forecast.  I know only too well that dangerous hazards will extend well beyond the eye of the storm.

My best friend who lives in Myrtle Beach, SC phoned me last night asking if she and her two doggos could come to my house to ride out the storm.  She has headed out this morning to buy sandbags and inexpensive shower curtains to tape around the window and door frames to protect against the coming surge of floodwaters.

So, blogging may be light to non-existent over the next few days as I prepare to hunker down. I need to do all I can to make my guests feel comfortable.  That means doing some housecleaning, buying groceries and prepping the outside of my home for what looks to be the coming deluge of water and forceful winds.

My thoughts and prayers go out to all who are in the path of Hurricane Florence.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please scribble on my walls otherwise how will I know what you think, but please don’t try spamming me or you’ll earn a quick trip to the spam filter where you will remain—cold, frightened and all alone.