Tuesday, January 30, 2018

It's Over. Thank God It's Over.

The obscene, incestuous spectacle is over; the 2018 Grammy Awards closed to abysmal ratings. Even the "I Really Wish I Were President" hand puppet act by Hillary Clinton was not enough to generate much interest.

 Send in the clowns
Maybe it was the more than three and a half hour run time, maybe it was the surprise Hillary Clinton cameo and political stances than seemed to take up more airtime than the music or maybe it was the move to a January broadcast that hobbled last night’s Grammys. Regardless of the reason, somewhere the 60th annual Grammy Awards lost the groove – at least when it comes to ratings and viewers.
It was the lowest rated Grammy in nine years. It was a close runner up to my high school graduation video featuring my shop teacher's paper silhouette portraits and the Smithtown Indians cheerleaders pyramid blooper reel.
With a 12.7/21 in metered market ratings, the Recording Academy’s big hootenanny was also way down from the early numbers from the LA-based February 13, 2017 59th annual show. By way down, I mean a just over 20% decline from last year to what looks to be an all-time low for the ceremony.
Next year I suggest that the Grammy producers include a video of Greatest Indictments Ever of the Obama Administration. That may draw a crowd.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please scribble on my walls otherwise how will I know what you think, but please don’t try spamming me or you’ll earn a quick trip to the spam filter where you will remain—cold, frightened and all alone.