Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Rare Black Squirrel Sighted

Since Curmudeon's palatial estate seems to be squirrel central, I pass along this bit of Left Coast squirrel news:

I spotted a black squirrel on the fence in my back yard today. I was doing a little pool maintenance when he skittered over the fence, saw me and froze. We just stared at each other for a while, then he ran away. According to wiki, you find them mostly in the Northeast, Midwest, parts of Canada and the UK.


Looked kinda like this.
The black fur color can occur naturally as a mutation in populations of gray squirrels, but it is rare.
Since there don't appear to be any black squirrel populations within, say 2-3,000 miles of here, I'm going with "mutation". 

Great. I've got a mutant squirrel in my back yard. Possibly a ninja...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please scribble on my walls otherwise how will I know what you think, but please don’t try spamming me or you’ll earn a quick trip to the spam filter where you will remain—cold, frightened and all alone.