Monday, October 31, 2016

Competitive Spirit

Randy Rosetta noted today at Gridiron Now, “In a sport where rivalry games serve as the constant lifeblood, nobody does bitterness and contentious showdowns quite like the SEC. Every week, it seems like at least two teams from the best football league in college football collide with bragging rights at stake and hatred for the other overflowing like the stadiums that are often filled to capacity and then some.”
For the past 10 seasons, the Alabama-LSU game has catapulted into the spotlight as arguably the biggest game in the SEC and one of the most impactful games nationally every season.
My SEC sister, Diogenes, is a devout LSU fan.  I am a rabid Alabama fan.  I consider it a blessing to share a sport I love with someone I care about.  Since 2014 she and I have had a friendly wager on the Bama-LSU game.  The loser would make a donation to The Wounded Warrior Project; out of love for our brave military service members the winner would make a donation as well.  This is the way two dyed-in-the-wool fans handle their fierce competitive spirit.
Continuing our tradition, this year we agreed to make a contribution to Shriners Hospitals for Children.  Since 1922, more than 1.3 million children have received life-changing care at Shriners Hospitals helping them reach their potential to lead more fulfilling lives regardless of a family’s ability to pay.

I designated the Shriners Hospital located in Shreveport and here’s the letter they sent me:
“You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”John Bunyan

As we approach Thanksgiving and the season of giving, I hope you’ll join us in the joyful act that reflects a thankful heart and relishes in the happiness that comes from helping those less fortunate than ourselves.  If you’d like to donate to the Shriners Hospitals for Children here is the link.  May God bless you today and always.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please scribble on my walls otherwise how will I know what you think, but please don’t try spamming me or you’ll earn a quick trip to the spam filter where you will remain—cold, frightened and all alone.