Saturday, June 22, 2013

Mr. Jefferson Visits The White House


I understand, my dear sir, that you recently gave a very confused speech to university students upon their graduation.

You seemed quite fretful at the time.  Perhaps it was because you felt the winds of change rustling against your brow.  You lamented, nay, chillingly suggested to these impressionable young men and women that they had grown up hearing voices that incessantly warn of government as nothing more than some separate, sinister entity that you felt was at the root of all the problems of this great republic.

You sir, went on to say that those same voices would warn that tyranny is always lurking just around the corner.

I thought I should pay you a visit in an attempt to school you on the subject of tyranny; something about which, I am intimately familiar.

Need I remind you sir that the arduous work of the Founding Fathers to resist tyranny established the brave, creative and unique experiment in self-rule to which you referred?

I further remind you that King George III had established tyranny over our thirteen original colonies and it was his tyranny that helped us to forge The Declaration of Independence.

After our struggle to gain independence from The Crown, I along with the other patriots, worked to the point of exhaustion to create The Constitution, a document for which I perceive you have great disdain.

Indeed sir, I tremble at your vanity. My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.  You have accepted the kingly crown placed upon your head by sycophants and flatterers.

Experience has shown that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

You sir, are not king of the world.  I listed twenty-seven abuses that King George directed at our colonies for the sole purpose of creating a tyrannical government.  You are following his path and the tyranny of which you spoke is well on its way.

Fate is fickle.  Soon you will learn that the citizenry much prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are of the gift of God?

It is a happy truth that man is capable of self-government, and only rendered otherwise by the moral degradation designedly superinduced on him by the wicked acts of his tyrant.

Your humble servant,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please scribble on my walls otherwise how will I know what you think, but please don’t try spamming me or you’ll earn a quick trip to the spam filter where you will remain—cold, frightened and all alone.