Thursday, November 22, 2012

Happy Food Coma Day

This has been a busy week for ‘ol Curmudgeon.  I’ve taken the entire week off from work.

On Sunday morning, early, early, early, I packed up the pooch and headed to the beach to visit my best friend of thirty-three years.

We headed out to Home Depot to purchase Christmas lights (for me) and a rosemary bush (for her) to add a holiday fragrance to her new home.  She decided she needed new lights for her house as well.  A beautiful, pre-lit Christmas tree caught her fancy, too.

We took our loot back to the house and then we slopped up on the sofa and the lounger and watched a movie.  Later, after we’d caught some ZZZ’s, we got gussied up and went out for a steak dinner.

On Monday night, we headed out for a buffet dinner with her ex-husband and his wife, her son and his new girlfriend, her daughter-in-law, her niece and nephew and a couple of neighbors.  And, yes, we pigged out big time.

I left for home the following day with Sophie, the dog, in tow.  You never really appreciate how wonderful home is until you’ve gone away and return.  It’s not called Home Sweet Home for nothin’.

Wednesday, I went to the grocery store to pick up the fruits and vegetables I would need for the feast on Thursday.  I prepared what I could in advance and left the chaos for Thanksgiving morning.

Enter Food Coma Day.  Family and friends gathered at Casa de Curmudgeon to enjoy an appetizer of baked spinach dip in bread.  The main course consisted of roasted turkey, sausage dressing, roasted garlic mashed potatoes, sweet potato casserole, bacon wrapped green beans, deviled eggs with bacon, baked cranberry sauce and corn muffins with honey butter.

Then everyone retired to the TV room for the obligatory football game.  On the bar were the desserts I had made on Wednesday:  apple butter pumpkin pie, banana nut bread and fruited ambrosia.

I tried to get a handle on cleaning up the devastation at the table and in the kitchen.  I swear, I think I heard pants buttons pinging off the walls.  I wasn’t sure until I heard someone say, “My God, you almost put my eye out.”

Now, after all that, if you think I’m leaving my humble abode to mix and mingle with the masses for Black Friday you’ve got another think coming.

I’ve got to pull out all my Christmas decorations, decorate the house inside and out and address my Christmas cards.

Hope your Food Coma Day was bountiful and blessed.


2 comments:

  1. Is Sophie a new dog? I remember you had one named Princess. I inherited a new one, Bogie, from my youngest son.

    Glad to know you were surrounded with friends and family on Thanksgiving! Now, we can get ready for Christmas with all the lights and decorations. I love this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Stogie,

    Sophie has been with me for four years. She came into my life after my beloved Duchess went to fetch sticks for God. She's a beautiful Pom-Chi. Tremendously loving and one helluva good watchdog.

    My Food Coma Day was the best yet.

    I'm warming up leftovers right now and getting ready to work on decorating the yard for Santa.

    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete

Please scribble on my walls otherwise how will I know what you think, but please don’t try spamming me or you’ll earn a quick trip to the spam filter where you will remain—cold, frightened and all alone.