Friday, September 2, 2016

Set Phasers To Stun

I was at the tender age of 14 when Star Trek premiered on NBC in 1966. How time has flown. 

I have always been fascinated with sci-fi.  I had to beg my dad to let me watch shows like The Outer Limits, Night Gallery and Alfred Hitchcock Presents.  He was quick to say that sci-fi was for nuts.

Finally, after endless pleading, my father relented and I got to watch the series that told the story of Space:  the final frontier.  I reveled in the voyages of the Starship Enterprise and its five-year mission to explore strange new worlds and boldly go where no man had gone before.  For the record:  I was never a “Trekkie”; just loved the escapism.  Who could have known the cultural impact the television series would have.

The first Star Trek series aired in 4×3 aspect television ratio, like the rest of the shows of that era.  Fifty years later, on the very day that Star Trek first aired, September 8th, BBC America will present the entire digitally remastered Season 1 and Season 2 episodes through September 11th.

I plan to binge-watch like a mad woman for those four days only taking a break to watch my beloved Alabama Crimson Tide lay a whooping on the Western Kentucky Hilltoppers.  I’ll be recording the episodes so I won’t miss a thing.  

“Dammit Jim, I’m a Star Trek fan, not a blogger” will be my refrain during that time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please scribble on my walls otherwise how will I know what you think, but please don’t try spamming me or you’ll earn a quick trip to the spam filter where you will remain—cold, frightened and all alone.